Coating Your Garage Floor With Epoxy: How To Get It Done
Epoxy is a coating you can use on just about any surface, and it can be used on garage floors to give them new life and offer a clean look to any garage. Using an epoxy coating can make your garage floor easier to clean, and it can be used to cover old and ugly concrete floors you may have in your garage. If you are wanting to install an epoxy floor in your garage, there are steps you need to take in order to ensure the job is done correctly and will be long-lasting. Read on for instructions on how to get this done.
Tools And Materials For The Job:
- Epoxy coating
- Pressure washer
- Mop or squeegee
- Concrete stain remover
- Extension handle (for the roller)
- To start, you need to remove everything from your floor in the garage. Everything that is on the floor needs to be removed, including shelving if you want to get the epoxy coating beneath the shelving as well. Remove all items, and then you need to clean your floors thoroughly. All stains should be removed and all debris also needs to be removed. Using a pressure washer is best, and using a stain remover to remove the stains is preferred to prevent the stains from showing through the new epoxy coating.
- Once your floors are clean, they need to dry thoroughly. Use the squeegee or mop to remove as much of the water as possible from the floors. Use a fan to help dry the floors as well.
- After your floors are clean and dry, you can begin to paint your floors with the epoxy coating. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to apply the epoxy and mix it according to the instructions as well. Use painter's tape around the room, as well as plastic to help prevent getting the coating onto the walls of the garage.
- Use the paintbrush to cut in the epoxy around one small area, then use the roller to blend in the floor with the edges. Work in small areas, as the epoxy may dry quickly. Apply the same amount all throughout your floor for a cohesive look. Continue doing this until your entire floor is complete.
- Allow the epoxy to dry thoroughly and set before you walk on it or drive a vehicle over it. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for drying time.
If you are looking to give your garage floor a clean look, you can give it an epoxy coating. Contact a professional for more information about applying a garage floor coating.